Just received your government benefits and looking to maximize its use? Knowing how to transfer money from ReliaCard to Cash App will let you use the ReliaCard's balance for transactions through Cash App.
The ReliaCard is a reloadable Visa debit card that allows you to receive government agency payments electronically.
Everyone loves to have cash on hand and prepared for emergencies, so when you receive electronic payments on your ReliaCard, you'll probably want to transfer the funds to your bank account.
You can easily transfer money to your Cash App account once it is in your bank account.
That's the only way to transfer money from ReliaCard to Cash App since Cash App does not support prepaid cards.
If you're confused on how to start, read on.
That being said, this article focuses on showing you how to transfer money from ReliaCard to Cash App without hassle.
Table of Contents
What is ReliaCard and How Does it Works?
The ReliaCard is a reloadable Visa debit card that allows you to receive government agency payments electronically.
It works similar to other credit cards in that it can be used to make purchases of goods and services as well as withdraw cash from ATMs. The card is issued by the U.S. Bank.
How Do I Get a ReliaCard?
You can apply for a ReliaCard if you are a beneficiary in a government benefit program. There are two ways you can get your agency payments.
Setting up a direct deposit to a US bank account is the first option, and obtaining a ReliaCard is the second.
Direct deposit into your checking or savings account is an option for periodic payments for your bank or credit union account. When requesting a direct deposit, you must provide the receiving accounts' routing and account numbers.
There are two ways to request a direct deposit into your bank account.
Use the Online Claim System and select electronic deposit as your first option.
The Authorization for Electronic Deposit Form can also be printed and sent by mail to your unemployment office. Up to two weeks may pass before your agency verifies your account.
You will continue to accept checks as payment while your account is being ready.
Nevertheless, using the online system is the most effective option because the input enters the system instantly.
The ReliaCard will automatically be mailed to the address you provided when you signed up for the ReliaCard if you do not select a direct transfer.
You can also transfer money from your ReliaCard to bank account if you'd prefer to have it there.
How Do I Activate a ReliaCard?
After receiving the ReliaCard, call the customer support center at 1-855-279-1270 to activate it.
You shouldn't be concerned if you don't have access to cellular service because the phone number is toll-free. You must choose the identification PIN required for ATM withdrawals during the activation period.
You may also activate the card online from the ReliaCard website. If you enrolled for direct deposit, you should keep the card because your agency will use it if your direct deposit setup is unsuccessful.
The information on the ReliaCard includes things like:
- Instructions on how to activate the card
- A Fee Schedule
- The Cardholder Agreement, which has terms and conditions
- A Guide to show you how and where you can use the card
- The U.S. Bank Privacy Pledge
How Much Should I Pay to Receive the ReliaCard?
No one should ever ask you to pay money in order to receive unemployment benefits; getting a ReliaCard is completely free.
In addition, the unemployment agency does not have any agreements with other businesses to provide its clients with unemployment benefits.
Therefore, anyone claiming to offer the services ought to be viewed as a fraudster.
You might even receive an email from fraudsters telling you that you have the card. You might get calls from people who are trying to extort money from you.
If this happens, get in touch with the organization right away by dialing 877-877-9392 (for Oregon) or going to the ReliaCard website.
Can I Transfer Money From ReliaCard to Cash App?
Yes, you can transfer money from ReliaCard to Cash App but not directly.
The only way to complete the transaction is to use a bank account as a middleman.
You will first transfer the funds to your bank, and then use them to top up your Cash App balance.
How to Transfer Money From ReliaCard to Cash App
You cannot directly transfer money from ReliaCard to Cash App as mentioned above.
However, before you can transfer the money to your Cash App account, you must first transfer it from the ReliaCard to a linked bank account.
Here is a step by step guide to transfer money from ReliaCard to Cash App.
If you already have a ReliaCard that has been activated, you can skip the first two steps.
Step 1: Apply for and Get a ReliaCard
Before you can submit an application, you must be qualified for a ReliaCard. You can apply for a ReliaCard if you participate in a government benefit program.
After receiving the card, some information will be provided alongside it. Some of the most important things to remember are the following:
- Cardholder agreement and Terms/Conditions for the card.
- The US Bank Privacy Pledge.
- How to activate the ReliaCard.
- The Fee Schedule that shows any associate charge for the card use.
- Detailed description of how and where you make use of this card.
Step 2: Activate your ReliaCard
You can activate your ReliaCard by calling customer support. You can also activate the card online from the ReliaCard official website.
- Call the toll-free number 1-855-279-1270.
- Allow time for the respondent to contact you.
- Request for card activation.
- Choose an identification PIN.
Step 3: Transfer Money From ReliaCard to a Linked Bank Account
Transferring money from ReliaCard to a linked bank account is a vital step to completing the ReliaCard to Cash App transfer.
To help you out, here's a complete guide to transferring money from ReliaCard to bank account.
Step 4: Transfer Money From Bank Account to Cash App
After receiving funds in your bank account, you can send money to Cash App directly. As in the previous step, you must link your bank to Cash App before you can start the transaction.
- Login to your Cash App Account.
- Select "Link Bank" from the "Banking" Tab.
- Enter the bank account's account number and routing number.
- Click on "Add Cash" on your Cash App account.
- Then select "Add". Enter the amount of money you'll want to add to your Cash App account balance.
- Use your Touch ID or a PIN to confirm the transaction.
How Long Does it Takes to Transfer Money From ReliaCard to Cash App Using a Linked Bank Account
Since you're using a bank account as a bridge, the transfer time will depend from one bank to the next.
When you estimate how long it takes to transfer money from ReliaCard to bank to Cash App, you'll see that it takes roughly 4 to 8 days.
How to Transfer Money from ReliaCard to PayPal
Unlike Cash App, PayPal supports prepaid cards and you can directly link your ReliaCard to PayPal and use as a funding source for your transactions with PayPal.
If in case you'd like to transfer your ReliaCard balance to your PayPal, you'll need to use a linked bank account as a bridge for the transaction.
That said, to transfer money from ReliaCard to PayPal, you'll first need to transfer the funds to a linked bank account and then add the money to your PayPal balance from your bank account.
Is it Safe to Have Money in Your ReliaCard Account?
There is no risk associated with keeping money in your card account because various security measures are taken to secure against loss. When your money is on the card, it is protected by the following mechanisms.
- PIN: — You must choose a PIN once you have received the card. The four-digit pin is intended to protect your card account from fraudsters who use ATMs without your authorization.
- Data Encryption: — No one can intercept your communication with the servers, thus your online activities are safe. Unless you are careless enough to use an unsecured internet connection, hackers would never be able to obtain your account information.
- FDIC Insurance: — Your money is safe at the ReliaCard issuing bank since it is insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). That implies that if the bank goes bankrupt, you can rest assured that your money will be returned to you.
Can I Add Money to My ReliaCard?
It is very important to keep in mind that ReliaCard does not have a routing or account number. You cannot therefore set up a direct deposit for the card.
Money can only be loaded onto the card by the issuing company.
This means that if I am the cardholder, only I can make withdrawals using my account number. The card doesn't have an account number in any case.
Furthermore, you need more information than just your account number to withdraw money from a card, bank, or credit union account.
Benefits of Receiving Payments Via ReliaCard
ReliaCard is a type of benefit program for individuals who haven't been able to get an employment. It goes without saying that there are numerous benefits for both cardholders and the organizations that use the program.
Benefits for Involved Agencies
- There's no need to spend extra money on paper checks.
- Saves money by eliminating the need for vouchers and the printing of discount coupons.
- Ensures that electronic payments are used to their maximum potential.
- Payments are easier to make and more secure.
- The time it takes to complete the process is shorter than it is for direct deposit.
- Remove the need for cash transfers by depositing a check instead.
- Purchases, ATM withdrawals, and bank account transfers are all possible.
- With good customer service, the card has no liability.
- Security features include transaction notifications and data encryption.
- Funds that are FDIC-insured, as well as spending tracking for further security.
Other Benefits to be Considered
- Unemployment insurance.
- Programs that provide temporary financial support to low-income households.
- Support and caring for children.
- Human services and health.
- Returns on personal income.
Final Thoughts: How to Transfer Money From ReliaCard to Cash App
ReliaCard is a Visa debit card that entitles you to unemployment benefits from the appropriate agency.
You do not need to apply for the card because it is automatically issued to you when you register for benefits, unless you choose to sign up for direct deposit.
ReliaCard can only be loaded with money by the appropriate agency because it lacks account or routing numbers.
Although you can't transfer money directly from ReliaCard to Cash App, you can complete the transaction using a bank account as a bridge for the transaction.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Transfer Funds from ReliaCard?
Yes. By selecting Transfer Funds and entering the required account details, you can send money to a linked bank account. Direct transfers to applications and online accounts are, however, not possible.
Is it Possible to Link the Unemployment Card to Cash App Directly?
You can transfer money to Cash App indirectly. However, there is no way to connect the two accounts directly.
Can I Withdraw Money from ReliaCard?
ReliaCard can be used to withdraw cash from ATMs, banks, and credit unions. You can also request cash from a variety of participating merchants.
Is there a Fee Involved to Send money from ReliaCard to Cash App?
The money transfer is free of charge. However, depending on the bank account used as the bridge, there may be additional fees. As a result, it's important to contact customer service and discuss any potential fees.
Why Did I Get a ReliaCard in my Mailbox?
Those who are qualified for unemployment benefits are issued a ReliaCard. It is also supported by the state unemployment agency and comes with a variety of perks.